1974-1975 Hill-Murray Hockey
State 3rd Place
Section 3 Champion
Central Catholic Conference Champion
- In its first year as a member of the State High School League, Hill-Murray won its first 18 games, won the Section 3 championship for the first of six straight times, and took home the 3rd Place trophy from the state tournament.
- Tom Conroy scored Hill-Murray's first ever goal in the state tournament, assisted by future coach Jeff Whisler. Later, they found a new nemesis in Grand Rapids, which defeated Hill-Murray 2-0 and won its other two tourney games 8-3 and 6-1.
- 188 goals scored is still 4th most in school history, 33 goals against is one more than the record-holding 1971 team, and 35 goals scored in the section playoffs is still a school record.
- Goaltender Steve Janaszak completed his fourth varsity season at Hill-Murray, then went on to the University of Minnesota where he was a member of NCAA champion teams in 1976 and 1979, and was named team MVP in 1979. He won a gold medal for the United States in the 1980 Olympics and was the recipient of the Ken McKenzie trophy in 1981, given to the best American-born rookie in the IHL. Janaszak played one game for the Minnesota North Stars in 1980.
- Rod Romanchuk led the team with 54 goals in 1975 and played for the University of Wisconsin which won a national championship in 1977.
- The State High School League admitted 18 private schools with hockey programs, increasing the total number of teams to 139. This provoked a major section realignment, and the creation of a new Section 3, which consisted of schools from the north and east suburbs and remained pretty much unchanged until the two-class format was adopted in 1992. Previously, Region 3 had been the "back door" region for losers in the northern regions (7 and 8).
|12/5||St. Bernard's*||18-0||W||Drake Arena|
|12/13||Duluth Cathedral||6-0||W||Duluth Arena|
|12/14||Duluth East||2-1||W||Duluth Arena|
|12/21||St. Louis Park||5-1||W||St. Paul Civic Center|
|1/3||St. Paul Johnson||3-1||W||Aldrich|
|1/6||St. Thomas Academy*||6-0||W||West St. Paul Arena|
|1/17||St. Paul Academy||4-2||W||Roseville Arena|
|1/27||St. Thomas Academy*||8-1||W||Aldrich|
|2/3||Park||7-1||W||Cottage Grove Arena|
|2/10||Edina West||2-5||L||Braemar Arena|
|Section 3 Playoffs|
|2/20||Forest Lake||16-1||W||Wakota Arena|
|2/22||White Bear Lake||6-2||W||Cottage Grove Arena|
|2/27||Park||9-2||W||St. Paul Auditorium|
|3/1||White Bear Mariner||4-1||W||St. Paul Auditorium|
|3/6||Duluth East||3-1||W||Met Center|
|3/7||Grand Rapids||0-2||L||Met Center|
|3/8||Bloomington Lincoln||5-2||W||Met Center|
Final Record 25-2-0
Coach: Terry Skrypek
Copyright 1999-2017 hmpioneers.net